Maine is a golf player’s paradise, with over 150 courses to play throughout the state. There are mountainside courses, oceanside courses, and even a course with three holes bordering Canada (you can play in two countries simultaneously). Maine loves golfing and takes pride in the courses and opportunities provided to residents and vacationers. There are day camps taught by PGA instructors for the young golfer in your family, and amateur tournaments for a little friendly competition. Here are 5 of the best courses in Central Maine.
1. Sugarloaf Golf Club: This is the quintessential mountain golf course in Maine, and a challenge every player will readily face. Players are treated to breathtaking panoramic views while working to maintain focus on their game, and keep their balls on the fairway. The back nine provides exceptional views of the Carrabassett River as you finish your round on what has been described as one of the toughest courses you will play. The course is a Robert Trent Jones, Jr. design with a slope rating of 151 and nearly 7,000 yards. The course receives high honors from Golfweek and Golf Digest time and time again. Maine residents enjoy a discount on Wednesdays (just another great reason to call Maine home).
2. Samoset Resort Golf Course: This 18-hole championship course in Rockport, Maine was originally designed as a 9-hole hole course in 1902. Architect Robert Elder added nine holes, and the original nine were improved in 1974. In the early nineties, additional improvements were made to many of the holes. Players are treated to awe inspiring views of the Atlantic Ocean on fourteen of the holes. Holes 4 and 14 are player favorites, as they play toward the ocean. When the tide is low you can often see seals basking in the sun on the rocks in the bay.
3. Fox Ridge Golf Club: This par 72 18-hole course in Auburn, Maine is a player favorite, and ranked in the top ten public courses by Golf Digest. There are a variety of holes offering different levels of challenge, making it an excellent choice for a fun outing with friends and family (with different levels of golfing experience). Changes have been recently made to improve playability for average and higher handicap players. The golf club is confident you will enjoy your round free from automobile, airplane, or city noise…you will enjoy a quiet round, perhaps with a bird song or two to grace your stroke.
4. Falmouth Country Club: This private course in Falmouth, Maine has hosted LPGA Legends, The Maine Amateur, The Maine Open, The New England Amateur, and US Amateur tournaments. The course was selected in 2019 to host the Live and Work in Maine Open, on the Korn Ferry Tour (the path to the PGA). This is Maine’s premier competitive venue built to test the skill of high level players looking toward a professional golf career.
5. Sunday River Golf Club: This 18-hole championship course in Newry, Maine is another design from Robert Trent Jones, Jr. The course winds through the woods and follows the natural topography of the mountain offering a round that is both playable and challenging. It is a semi-private course. Maine residents save on green fees every Wednesday (with a state ID). The course has received accolades from player ranked polls, Golf Digest, Golf Magazine, Golfweek Magazine, and Links Magazine.
Meservier & Associates has been serving Maine home buyers and sellers with a collection of resources, agents, and market data since 1988. We look forward to working with you. Contact us today for all your Maine real estate needs!