When you join the team at Meservier & Associates you will become part of the family. As part of the family, whether as a new agent or an experienced agent, you will receive support from the designated broker, senior agents, and administrative staff to build, and continue to build, your successful career in the exciting and challenging world of real estate.
Here are the steps you need to take to become a real estate agent in Maine.
Real Estate Sales Agent, license for new agents
You will need a real estate license to list properties, promote purchases, and offer other services in exchanging real estate in the state of Maine. The entry level license is a Real Estate Sales Agent.
1. Enroll and pass the Sales Agent Course: The course is a 55 hour program. You need to achieve a grade of 75% or better. The course is offered by different accredited businesses including the Center for Real Estate Studies for $370 (price includes “Introduction to a Successful Career in Maine Real Estate” textbook and “Maine Real Estate Commission License Law Reference Book”) and The Real Estate Learning Group for $450-$475 (price includes textbooks and materials). You will have six months to one year to complete the 55 hour course depending on the pre-license education provider. When you pass your final exam you will receive a Course Completion Certificate (valid for one year).
2. Schedule an exam with Pearson VUE: The Real Estate Sales Agent exam is administered by Pearson VUE on behalf of the State of Maine Real Estate Commission. You will need to present your Course Completion Certificate (from your sales agent course with a grade of 75% or better) to take the exam. Practice tests are available for $19.95. When you feel confident you will schedule an exam. The Sales Agent Exam is $85. You need a grade of 75% or better before taking the next step.
3. Apply for your Maine Real Estate Sales Agent License: After successfully completing the coursework and exam you can apply for your license with the State of Maine Real Estate Commission. The application needs to be made within one year of the real estate sales agent licensing exam. You will also need a high school diploma (or the equivalent) and be 18 years of age or older when completing your license application. The application/license fee is $100. There is also a $21 fee for a criminal records check. When approved your license will be good for 2 years. Congratulations! You are now qualified to “… perform brokerage services in the employ of or on behalf of a licensed real estate agency and under the supervision of the agency’s designated broker.”
Real Estate Sales Agent, license for experienced agents (out of state)
If you are an experienced agent joining our team from out of state you will need to obtain licensing from the State of Maine Real Estate Commission. The process is similar to what is listed above, though you can skip the sales agent course (provided you can provide a license in good standing from another state).
1. Schedule an exam with Pearson VUE: Schedule your exam and pass with a grade of 75% or better. The exam cost is $85.
2. Apply for your Maine Real Estate Sales Agent License: You will need to provide your out of state real estate license, be 18 years of age or older, and hold a high school diploma (or the equivalent) when you apply for your license. The application/license fee is $100. The criminal records check is $21.
Real Estate Sales Agent total cost
Your out-of-pocket expense is very reasonable in becoming an entry level real estate agent in the state of Maine. New agents will spend an average of $668.40 (for coursework, practice exams, exam, application/license, and criminal records check). Experienced agents from out of state will spend on average $206 (for the exam, application/license and criminal records check). We haven’t factored in the finishing touches, but we know you polish up well and you dress to impress your future clients (perhaps a new set of clothes, shoes, and a trip to the salon or barber shop).
Meservier & Associates looks forward to having you join our real estate team. We will help guide you on your path and provide you with the tools you need to build a successful real estate career in Maine. Join our team!